Timeline of Linden Place
1810: George DeWolf commissions Russell Warren to build a home on his Hope Street property at a cost of $60,000.00. (This would be about 1.2 million dollars today!)
1825: A bankrupt General George DeWolf makes a night escape with his wife and young family to avoid his many Bristol creditors who subsequently storm and ransack the mansion, removing the contents.
1837: William Henry DeWolf, George's cousin, adds an octagonal sun room designed by Russell Warren. Two wings, the little ballroom (eventually the billiard room and today the gift shop) and the kitchen, are added within the next few years
1865: The house is auctioned by William Henry's heirs and is purchased by Edward D. Colt for Theodora Colt, General George DeWolf's daughter
1866-1873: Theodora restores the Mansion to its former glory, has Linden trees planted in the yard and renames the house "Linden Place". She lives there with her children Isabella and Samuel Pomeroy Colt.
1901: Theordora dies and Samuel Pomeroy Colt purchases the entire block next to the mansion. He has a marble school built next door to Linden Place in her memory. The school is now Colt Andrews School.
1905: Colonel Samuel Pomeroy Colt retains noted RI architect Wallis E. Howe to design a new ballroom and garage for automobiles; his cousin designs the gardens
1910: Col. Colt throws a 100th birthday party for Linden Place on July 4, reported to be "the most brilliant social affair in the annals of the history of Bristol..." Among the guests is actress, Ethel Barrymore Colt Miglietta, daughter of Ethel Barrymore. Click here to view the article in the local newspaper!
1963: The Bristol Art Museum is launched in the ballroom with the help of Ethel Barrymore Colt Miglietta
1973: Scenes for Hollywood's "The Great Gatsby", starring Mia Farrow and Robert Redford are filmed at Linden Place. The film is released in 1974. Click here to view the front page of the Bristol Phoenix covering the story!
1987-1988: Friends of Linden Place seek to raise $2 million to buy the mansion and preserve it as a public, cultural and educational center. State historic preservation funds assist the acquisition.
1989: Friends of Linden Place acquire the mansion. Restoration and renovations begin.
1990: First floor of the mansion is open for tours.
1997: The mortgage on the mansion is paid off and burned by Board President, Gert Pardee and Director Lou Cirillo during a ceremony on the front steps.
1998: For the first time since being built in 1810, the mansion's paint is stripped down to the woodwork and the house receives a fresh coat of white paint. The mansion's original 1810 andirons belonging to General George DeWolf are returned to the museum.
2010: For the first time in 25 years, Captain James DeWolf's carriage is included in the Bristol 4th of July Parade.
2019: The 30th Anniversary of the Friends of Linden Place is celebrated!